Friday, June 3, 2011

Is my "lifestyle change" actually working?

YES IT IS!!!

So I know that I have probably not been very descriptive about my "lifestyle change" results but I am about o share them with you. I am very embarrassed by my starting numbers mostly because I was considered obese, even though I certainly didn't look like it. I haven't officially written my starting numbers down until now mostly because I had no desire to actually admit to myself that I started where I did. I think I am finally able to face it and this post is based on the fact that I have lost so much that I simply don't fit into a single pair of pants that I own. So I finally went shopping on Tuesday night and was utterly amazed at my new pant size. Seriously, I figured that my pants had just stretched out over the years (by the way I really don't like clothes shopping ... until now!). I had been putting off my inevitable shopping trip for several reasons (1) I was afraid that I was hallucinating my weight loss, (2) I really don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes that probably won't fit me in six months and (3) most clothes that they make in my (old) size are not flattering on me whatsoever. So no more stalling, I am actually going to write down (and post) my starting and current numbers:

      Starting Weight = 204.80 lbs (Jan 20, 2011)
      Current Weight = 169.60 lbs (June 3, 2011)
      Total Loss (so far) = 35.20 lbs! 

      Starting Pant Size = 16 (borderline 18)
      Current Pant Size = 12
      Total Loss (so far) = 2 sizes!

Now these numbers are not simply based on me adding running and strength training to my weekly routine. I have also changed my eating habits ... significantly. I am not following any specific plan. Instead, I am trying to change my habits all on my own. I figured that if I were to follow some one's plan there would be an "end date" and then I would still have to figure out how to eat properly. I already know what is good and bad for me (we all did learn about the food pyramid in school) so I decided to figure this out on my own. My biggest problem is sweets so I stopped going to the candy jar at work and I don't eat the monthly birthday cake either (until it is my birthday month). I have also started eating breakfast everyday (usually some non-fat yogurt or oatmeal) and I am eating 4 to 5 times a day (every 3 hours or so), which has really helped control the fluctuations in my blood sugar. These meals are not large and are usually between 200 and 400 calories each. I have increased my veggies and fruits while decreasing my meats (mostly eliminating beef and pork). Oh and I have completely switched from white, enriched, over processed starches (breads, pastas, and rices) to whole grains. And that is the nuts and bolts of it!

*What has been working for me may not work for everyone. I am not a doctor and don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. If you have serious health problems, please consult your physician before changing your eating habits. They know what they are talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...