Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I think I must be crazy ....

When I crossed the finish line of my first race, I realized something ... I am a runner. When I first started running at the beginning of the year, I was using it as the exercise portion of my weight loss plan (also known as my lifestyle change). I never thought that it would be a defining characteristic of myself. In high school, I was a swimmer and I absolutely loved the long distance events. I carefree nature of just swimming endless laps is definitely something that I miss and hope to find again through running. So what that, I have taken the plunge into distance running. I don't think that I will be as good as an Olympic Marathoner but I do enjoy the endurance required to cover the longer distances. Within a week of crossing my first finish line, I signed up for my very first half marathon, Disney's Wine and Dine Half Marathon! Because this race isn't until the beginning of October, I figured that I would have plenty of time to train for the distance (about 24 weeks). My training focus for the first 12 weeks is to extend the length of time that I can for as well as the distance of my long runs. Right now, I can run for about 55 minutes on the treadmill and I can run/walk about 6.5 miles on the road. My goal for this race is to run the entire half marathon so far I feel that I am well on my way to achieving that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...