Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why do I run?

I read an article yesterday that made me stop and ask myself why. Why do I run? Why am I training for a half marathon? What is my reason? At first, my immediate response was that I run because I want to prove to myself that I can. But I already know that I can. I have been running consistantly for almost four months and have already run in two 5Ks. I know that I can run a half marathon especially if I train properly. Then I realized that I am doing this because I truly want to. I want to be a runner and I really want to be a distance runner. I am also doing this because I want to live a healthy lifestyle in honor of two wonderful women, my Aunt Debbie and my Aunt Sue. They will never see me run in person but I know that they are with me in spirit. If I can live a healthier lifestyle, that proves to be inspirational to others in my family and myself, then maybe no one will else will have to go through what they went through. Both of these women were diagnosed with cancer and passed away before they celebrated their 52nd birthday. My Aunt Debbie passed away from colon cancer in May 2002 and six years later her younger sister, my Aunt Sue, passed away from stomach cancer in April 2008. These women lived less than six months after being diagnosed and never had a fighting chance. Running has so many benefits and I hope that I will continue to reap them for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...