Friday, July 15, 2011

Another Official Race Email from Disney!

Only two and a half months left until my very first half marathon! Just thinking about it makes me so nervous that my stomach gets butterflies. If you were planning on running the Wine & Dine Half Marathon and haven't signed up yet, then you may be out of luck. The Half Marthon has sold out but there are other options if you are interested. According to the runDisney website, there are still still spaces available for the Half Marathon Relay and several charity organizations still have spaces available. So if you are still holding out or even considering running in this event, then hurry up and sign up before it is completely sold out!

2011 Commemorative Pin
It has been about a month since I received the last email from Disney. The last one informed me that the course map was finally available. I am a complete control freak and I am the first to admit it. I am also a very impatient person and I really wanted to know what the course looked like when I registered for the race. Unfortunately, I had to wait almost two months from the time I registered to the time I was able to view the map. This race email provided even more information. Most important of all is that the 2011 Race Program is available! Another piece of crucial information is that bib numbers and waivers will be coming with the next email, which I am assuming will be coming sometime next month. Also, Disney has switched from using the ChronoTrack D-Tag to using the B-Tag. I have never used either system so I can not comment on the advantages or disadvantage of them but hopefully the switch won't affect my race. The D-Tag is the most similar to what I have used for my other races. It is a timing tag that attachs to your shoe. The B-Tag, however, is actually attached to the bib and is very sensitive apparently.

After getting over my initial excitement about receiving another race email from Disney, I checked out the race program to see what valuable information I could gleam from its PDF pages. The list of exhibitors is in the program as well as a layout for the expo hall. I have never been to race expo before so I really hope that I am able to take advantage of everything they have to offer. There are also several articles that contain some interesting information. One in particular by Jeff Galloway was about racing/running at night. Since I am still quite new at this whole racing thing, the running at night aspect of this race is one of the most nerve racking aspects for me. At first, I was nervous about the distance but I really feel like I can do it. Racing at night on the other hand is an idea I am still struggling with. In the article, Galloway suggests scheduling at least two runs in August and September at 10 PM to ensure that you aclimated to running at night. While I had actually thought of this, I am not sure when I will be able to do it. I guess I am nervous about running on the streets by myself at 10 PM, which eliminates scheduling my long runs at night. That leaves me with running some of my treadmill workouts at night. Somehow though, treadmill running doesn't seem like enough when it comes to aclimating to racing at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...