Saturday, July 2, 2011

Magic Mile No. 1 ... Dolphins and a Turtle

Saturday - 4 miles
  • 4.01 miles, 46' 42" minutes, 11' 38" min/mile average pace, 170 BPM average heart rate
  • Splits:
    • mile 1 - 10' 38" min/mile
    • mile 2 - 11' 45" min/mile
    • mile 3 - 12' 16" min/mile
    • mile 4 - 11' 53" min/mile
When I went to bed last night, I knew that this run had the potential to be a really bad one. Against my better judgement, I didn't set my alarm. I was tired and really, really annoyed with my phone. Last night, my phone decided that it had had enough of this world and was ready to pass on to the next one. It completely reset itself back to factory. I was not a happy person when I went to bed last night so I decided I wouldn't set my alarm. My body wasn't fooled though. I woke up at 7 AM without an alarm. I tried to ignore my useless phone and get ready for run, which was easier said than done. After some hemming and hawing, I finally got ready for my run. I ate my yogurt with granola and drank some water. Because my run today was only scheduled at 4 miles, I didn't worry about taking any "foo" with me. Mind you that "food" while running is not normal everyday food. It took me about 20 minutes to walk to the running trail, which allowed me to come to grips with how I was going to handle my 4 mile run. According to the Jeff Galloway training program, today's run was supposed to be 3 miles with a Magic Mile (MM). A Magic Mile is a way to estimate what your pace will be on race day. Of course, the first time you one your pace isn't that great so you should actually run at least three and use the average as your Magic Mile pace. The MM is a mile where you push yourself to your max. It is recommended that you should not be able to continue anymore at your current pace when you finish. Even though, I did improve my overall time for the mile, I don't feel like I pushed myself as much as I could have. When I finished, I felt like I could have gone faster. That's okay though because I still have several more attempts to improve my MM pace.

Once I finished my MM, I took a moment to catch my breath and drink some water. When I started running again, I was conscious of making sure that my pace was much slower than my pace was for the MM. I wanted to be able to maintain my pace for the last three miles that I scheduled for today. The trail I run on is located along the water and today the water provided me with some excellant views this morning. Of course, with my phone on the fritz, I didn't have it with me to take any pictures. At the end of mile 2, I noticed that the water was moving. I examined it closer and two dolphins were swimming along the sea wall. About a mile later towards the end of mile 3, I noticed something floating in the water. At first, I thought maybe the dolphin had actually folled me it wasn't. It was a sea turtle swimming along. I actually stopped running to watch him for a little bit. The turtle dove down into the water and actually came back up with a crab. It was very peaceful to watch the sea turtle float along and it reminded me of the peaceful, realxed feeling that running gives me (when I am not stressed about my phone not working). At that point, I realized that I was focusing on the wrong thing this morning. The last mile of my run was probably the best one I ran all day because I allowed my mind to clear and started to enjoy my run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...