Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bikram is officially back in my life!

Wednesday - Strength Training
  • Kettlenetics - 34 minutes (Total Body Blast Video)
Another good morning workout. I was a little sluggish this morning getting out of bed. I actually think that I let my alarm run for almost 20 minutes before I finally rolled out of bed. I wanted to do the Target Toning Workout since I haven't done it in over a week but with a 9 AM meeting this morning I didn't really have enough time for the 52 minute workout. This was the second time I did the Total Body Blast Workout and it actually was easier this time. I used the 4 lb. KBell for my workout, which once again proved to be enough. It will take a few more rounds with this workout before I will be able to do it with the 8 lb. KBell. Not only does this workout incorporate the usual Kettlebell movements (swings, high pulls, clean and presses, and TGUs) but also adds plyometrics and calinsthetics. As I am writing this, my sides and inner thighs are incredibly sore. This workout definitely works the entire body and I really enjoy doing it. Hopefully, my soreness will stay away long enough for me to get the full intentions of Bikram Yoga practice tonight.
  • Yoga - 90 minutes (Bikram Yoga Class)
My intention for tonight's practice was to be able to maintain the progress that I achieved last week. One of the aspects of Bikram Yoga that I really enjoy is that no matter where or when I take the class or who teaches it the sequence of postures is the exact same. No matter what, I know that when I step into that 105 degree room I will be spending the next 90 minutes doing the same 26 posture and 2 breathing exercises that I did the last time. The heat in the room allows to body to soften and remold into the postures. Of course, the first time you step into a Bikram class your body is not prepared for the heat or the strange postures you attempt to contort your body into. The first time I attended a Bikram class I think I ended up lying in savasana (dead corpse pose) for several of the postures. Rather than leave the room, the teachers actual insist that you either stand in Mountain Pose or lay down in savasana. Three years later, I can now move through every single posture and begun to push myself towards achieving the the maximum of the postures. Over the last three years, I found a teacher that I loved (she moved away), I moved away from my yoga studio (it took me almost two years to find a new one) and I have tried three different teachers at my new yoga studio (I finally found one that I love). My Bikram practice has never been as consistent as recommended but it is a practice that I truly enjoy. It allows me to achieve 90 minutes of mental stillness and peace. I am able to calm my mind and recenter my body so that I can handle whatever the week me bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...