Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bikram, I have missed you old friend ...

Wednesday, 6/15 - Strength Training
  • Kettlenetics - 20 minutes (FlowMotion Basics Video)
  • Yoga - 90 minutes (Bikram Yoga Class)
I definitely didn't follow the plan I originally planned on Monday. I actually pushed the schedule back a day. Before I really started adding the 8 lb. KBell into the more intense workouts, I wanted to make sure that I could handle it by doing the introduction video with it. I think after my workout this morning I am ready to increase the weight. I will say that there were several moves that I modified because the KBell was twice the amount that I am used to and were really quite difficult to achieve with the heavier weight. I am hoping that by using the heavier weight my Kettlenetics videos will continue to challenge me.

I have started to do research into traditional Kettlebell training.  Yesterday, I purchased a book called "From Russia with Tough Love: Pavel's Kettlebell Workout for a Femme Fatale" by Pavel Tsatsouline. Pavel is apparently the man who brough Kettlebells from Russia to the United States. I figured that if this is the type of strength training that I am going to continue to use then I want to to know as much as possible about it. I also figured that I should get the most accurate information possible. There are several reasons why I chose this book. One of them is because this book goes in depth into each of the major movements done in traditional Kettlebell training. This book also has an 8-week training program that is designed to take the user from a novice Kettlebell user to a Kettlebell enthusiast. I am excited to read this book and to try the training program. After I finish reading the book and have gone through the full training program, I will write a special post about the book and my results.

After my yoga workout on Sunday morning, I decided that I wanted to get back into my Bikram Yoga practice. I found Bikram Yoga about 3 years ago. I was in love with this style of yoga after the very first class. At the time, I was only able to go once a week and didn't have time to devote to an at home practice. The recommended routine is to practice the 90 minute set of sequences at least once a day for 60 days (2 months) in order to see the full benefits of the practice. I have recently rediscovered my love of Bikram Yoga but still haven't been able to incorporate it into my daily routine. The last time I actually practiced this style of yoga about two months ago right before I caught a nasty head cold and before I started my current training regiment. Last night, I decided that I wanted to go to a Bikram class tonight. I didn't expect to be in top form during the class because it has been two months and I did my first full workout with the 8 lb. KBell this morning. After the opening breathing exercise though, I felt utterly amazing. That feeling lasted throughout the entire 90 minute practice. I was able to push myself past my previous limit and actually was able to do the Toe Stand pose, which I haven't been able to do in 3 years! If I don't make it to one of the classes this weekend, I will totally be going back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...