Thursday, June 9, 2011

Back Bending my way through a Tempo Run ...

Thursday, 6/9 - 3 miles
  • Yoga - 24 minutes (Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Your Week - Back Bends)
  • 3.75 miles, 42' 03" minutes, 11' 13" min/mile average pace, 164 BPM average heart rate
Two days in a row of waking up early enough to do a workout. Absolutely unheard of. Now I didn't get my run in this morning but I did start my morning off right with about 20 minutes of Back Bends. What a great way to start the morning. It really helped my energy level throughout the day. I also made sure that I drank plenty of water. My workout tonight was great! I decided to do a tempo run tonight where I pushed myself to a limit and maintained it for as long as possible. My workout started in the usual way with a 5 minute walk at 3.0 mph and a 0% incline. I decided to go with a 0% incline tonight because I wanted to be able to maintain a faster pace than usual and I didn't want to put excess strain on my knees or hips. Once my walking warm up was complete, I increased the pace to 3.5 mph, which I maintained for the next 5 minutes. According to my heart rate displayed on the treadmill, I could handle increasing the pace so I did a quick body scan to see how I was doing. I didn't have any soreness in my knees or hips. I was maintaining my stride consistently. I bumped to pace up to 4.0 mph, which I maintained for about another 5 minutes. At this point my iPod told me that I had already run one kilometer. I still felt really good and my heart rate was still on the low side for an effective tempo run so I bumped up the pace to 4.5 mph. I maintained that pace for 4 more kilometers (about 2.48 miles). After my tempo run was down, I slowed my pace down to 4.0 mph and started my cool down. I ran another kilometer before starting the walking portion of my cool down, which lasted about 12 minutes. I felt really good during and after my run. Having successful training runs is really empowering and I hope that I continue to have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...