Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hills ... we meet again!

Tuesday, 6/14 - 3 miles
  • 3.39 miles, 40' 08" minutes, 11' 50" min/mile average pace, 163 BPM average heart rate
What an awesome run tonight! I had plenty of energy throughout and I felt really strong during the entire run. I decided last week that my Tuesday runs will be intervals and my Thursday runs will be tempo runs. After my 5 minute warm up at 3.0 mph, I selected the variety workout that randomizes the incline of the treadmill belt. Today, the belt incline varied from 0.0% to 5.0%, which really worked my calf muscles. Before I started the intervals, I increased my pace to 3.5 mph, which I maintained for the next 5 minutes. The hills during this part weren't very difficult and my heart rate was right where I wanted it to be so I increased the pace to 4.0 mph. After 5 minutes at that pace, I decided not to increase the belt anymore. My heart rate wasn't too high but I knew that the higher inclines coming up would cause my heart rate to increase. My goals for today's run were to keep my heart rate from going above 175 BPM and to keep my average pace below a 12 minute/mile. I met my pace goal but my heart rate went up to 177 BPM at its highest so I just missed that goal. After I finished my run. I cooled down with a 10 minute walk at 3.0 mph. I really needed a good training run after Saturday's not so good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...