Saturday, June 4, 2011

Long Run No. 1 ... only 3 miles (not really that long)

Saturday, 6/4 - 3 Miles
  • 3.12 miles, 37' 52" minutes, 12' 09" min/mile average pace, 178 BPM average heart rate
  • Splits:
    • Mile 1:  11' 45" min/mile
    • Mile 2:  12' 13" min/mile
    • Mile 3:  12' 27" min/mile
I did it! I actually did it and it is only the second time I have ever done it. My statistics above are just for my run. I started my workout with a 10 minute walk that wasn't fast but more of a short stride that allowed my legs to stretch and wake up. After the warm up, I started running at an easy pace. My goal for today was to run the entire distance called for on my training schedule. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it because I haven't been able to do it during a race and have only done it once before. But I really wanted to try and didn't let myself think about failing during my run. I set my Nike+ distance to 5K and loaded up my workout playlist. I started off at a pace that I felt was much slower than usual. After the first kilometer, I felt good so I continued at what I felt was the same pace I started at. I am still trying to figure out how to pace myself properly. I love my Nike+ system but it only gives me instantaneous pace, so I don't find out my splits or my overall average until the end of my workout. I felt really good throughout my entire run and didn't stop once to walk. Finally, the ending countdown began ... 400 meters ... 300 meters ... 200 meters ... 100 meters ... congratulations, you did it! I did it was all that I could think about as I slowed down to begin my 10 minute cool down walk. Then my final time came through my headphones and the voice said 37' 52", which is 1' 17" faster than my last 5K race time. I couldn't believe it. I was utterly amazed with myself. When I finished, I felt strong and probably could have kept running. I chose not to because I don't want to get injured and I really want to stick to my training schedule. While I thought I started out fairly slow, my pace for the first mile was actually the fastest of the three. My goal for my next long run is to try and achieve a true negative split, wher the first mile is my slowest one and my last mile is the fastest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...